Reading is one of the best habits you can include in your everyday routine. Studies suggest reading can help boost emotional development and be a great way to reduce stress levels. Reading can also improve your decision-making skills, communication, and memory.
If you want to start reading more, look for easy ways to revise your daily routine to get at least 20-30 minutes of reading time into your day. One of the best ways to do this is by reading before bed. There are many to replace your screen time with a book for yourself or your kids.
Here's a list of five benefits of reading before bed:
1. Improved Sleep Quality
Did you know screen time can impact your sleep patterns? Scrolling on your phone before bed or watching TV every night can make it harder for your brain to release melatonin, leading to restless nights spent tossing and turning.
Switching to reading before bed can help your brain relax and unwind. Every sentence you read will slowly make you more tired, ready for a good night's rest ahead. You'll find it easier to fall asleep at night, which can improve your sleep patterns and quality of sleep.
2. Kids Bedtime Stories Can Benefit Intellectual Growth
Your little ones can also benefit. Kid's bedtime stories help your kiddo's imagination grow and enrich their language development. Consider taking at least 10-20 minutes every night to read a chapter of a book or a kid's bedtime story. Every story you read to them or book you introduce to their life will help improve their language development and enhance their vocabulary.
3. Increased Creativity
Reading before bed can significantly boost your creativity in a number of ways.
- It exposes you to new ideas and perspectives. When you read, you are transported to different worlds and introduced to different characters and cultures. This can help you to see the world through new eyes and to come up with new ideas of your own.
- It challenges your imagination. When you read, you are forced to use your imagination to visualize the scenes and characters in the story. This can help to strengthen your imagination and make it easier to come up with new ideas.
- It provides a quiet space to reflect. When you read before bed, you are giving yourself some time to relax and unwind before going to sleep. This can be a great time to reflect on what you have learned throughout the day and to come up with new ideas.
4. Improve Your Concentration Skills
We live in a world filled with distractions. If you're finding it hard to focus during the workweek or your mind is always racing before bed, it's time to adjust your routine.
Reading before bed gives your brain a moment to focus on one thought at a time. It challenges you to focus on the words on the page and challenges your eye muscles. Consistently reading before bed can help improve your concentration levels, making day-to-day tasks easier to focus on.
5. Decrease Stress and Anxiety
TV, TikTok, or countless hours on social media can lead to higher stress levels. Switching to reading before bed is a great alternative, especially if you're struggling with stress from work or anxiety and depression. Studies suggest that reading before bed can also reduce your risk of other mental diseases, including Alzheimer’s.
Upgrade Your Bedtime Routine With Beddy's
Your bedtime routine should be a sacred ritual that leaves you feeling fulfilled, relaxed and content with your life. Whether you're encouraging your kids to replace the TV with their bedtime stories or reading a book on your own, this is a worthwhile habit that will improve your everyday life.
Another great way to improve your bedtime routine is to upgrade your bedroom. At Beddy's, we offer high-quality zipper bedding for kids and adults. Our bedding is made with high-end materials and always looks put together. So you can slip into bed, grab a book, and enjoy the time you set aside for yourself every night you go to bed.
Explore our selection of zipper bedding today.