Spring is here and summer is on it’s way and you know what that means, sunny weather and lots of time spent outside! You could say that we at Beddy’s agree that having a beautiful bed that is also functional is really important. Well we also would agree that the same theme can apply to your outdoor space. You outdoor space is a place where you can escape and enjoy the fresh air. What better way to enjoy it than by planting a garden. It doesn’t have to be fruits and vegetables, although, fruits and veggies tend to taste best straight from the garden. But you can also can plant a simple flower garden. It would be so beautiful and add so much color to your landscape. It can be pretty intimidating starting a garden from scratch, especially if you have never done it before so we have some quick tips that will make starting a garden much more simple.
6 Easy Tips to Start a Garden
1. You will want to know what kind of plants grow best in your area.
- Some grow best in the sun, while others grow best in the shade.
- Every climate has unique plants that grow best. Figure out what plants grow best in your specific climate.
- You can take a sample of your soil to your nearest nursery. They will be able to help you figure out what plants will grow best with it.
- We would recommend choosing easier plants, meaning ones where you can make less mistakes. Vegetables are a great example of easy plants.
- Some plants have to be watered more than others. Some grow faster than others. Figure out what matters more to you and then research what plants meet that criteria.
- This plan will help out a lot at the store because you will be able to visually see what plants you want and how many of each you will need.
- Keep in mind, perennial plants tend to need to be 18 inches apart because it will give them room to grow.
- It can be so easy to forget to water your plants, or remember to fertilize them, especially when it hasn’t become a habit yet. Setting reminders on your phone will help.
- The best time is to do it early in the morning.
- Make sure you give each plant plenty of water, especially on hot days.
If we have convinced you that starting a garden is easier than it looks and worth the work, then let us know about your experience. We would love to see photos! Keep in mind that gardening does take a lot of patience. Your plants will grow, just give them a little bit of time and you will be so happy with how they turn out.